Every month, we meet with people who are interested in EA and discuss how we can maximize the good we can do.
Meet-up notes: June 2016
Topic #01: EA meet-ups in Singapore
- We should have two different platforms: (1) Introductory monthly meet-ups; (2) Working project meeting group monthly.
- This caters to different needs: (1) new to EA; (2) further engagements in EA.
- Suggestion that intro meet-ups have a theme/structure to facilitate discussions (e.g. having discussion sheets with different topics each week).
- Perhaps also have "social meets" so discussions are less formal.
Topic #02: Earning-to-give
- Someone in the group mentioned that he is earning-to-give now. Read Peter Singer a long time ago and had given away a lot years ago. Somehow, things changed and he stopped giving for a long while. Returning to giving more now and has a giving plan that he roughly shared with the group.
- What about sharing earning-to-give with people working in civil service? With higher earnings, giving xx% regularly.
Topic #03: Social media
- Growing 'likes' on EA Singapore's FB Community page.
- Suggestion to start twitter account too.
Topic #04: Movember fundraiser
- Possibly something that some of us in the EA community here can take part.
- One beneficiary organization would be AMF.
Topic #05: Workplace giving
- What's the ratio of Finance v.s. Consulting firms in Singapore?
- What are their cultures like? (e.g. Finance - stressful, business-interests driven)
- What's the possibility of EA members placing posters and donation bins in their workplaces for people to be aware of highly effective charities and give readily?
Topic #06: Pitch ideas
- Suggestion for mini giving game: "Hi, are you interested in saving lives? How many lives do you think you can save in your lifetime?"
- Highlight that, "A single death is a tragedy. A million deaths is a million tragedies". (Original quote: "A single death is a tragedy. A million deaths is a statistic.")
Topic #07: Charitable giving
- Giving season tends to be end of the year (Nov/Dec)
- For tax-deductible charities, they tend to receive more 1 month before tax-yr end