Every month, we meet with people who are interested in EA and discuss how we can maximize the good we can do.
Meet-up notes: April 2016
Topic #01: Is there any impact evaluations that we're aware of in Asia?
- Group is not aware.
- It's a challenge to understand in very concrete ways where the charitable donations' impact are in most charities.
- Confusion in the label of some categories in reports we've come across. For example, money that goes to "others" -- can't interpret what it means in this vague category.
Topic #02: Types of non-profit entities
- Society / Charity
- Company Limited by Guarantee (CLG)
- Institute of Public Character (IPC)
- 501 (c) (3) in the US
Topic #03a: Communicating about EA
- EA meet-ups partly involves a discussion and analysis of how to spend our money on the "most amount of good".
- On "doing the most good" -- some members have not much of a problem that "good" can be interpreted differently by different people.
- Use infographics and posters to communicate the impact differences in charitable giving (instead of explaining too much in words).
- Suggestion to articulate what EA is about: "OPTIMIZING THE USAGE OF OUR CHARITABLE RESOURCES"
Topic #03b: Social media and attracting people to EA community
- Suggestion to use community page instead of individual's posts for EA.
- Key words describing groups that might be aligned with EA - e.g.) rationalists, altruistic/charitable, humanists, data/research, philosophy, philanthropy.
- Students who take the initiative to read up a lot more might have heard about EA.
Topic #04: Question about existential risks
- Example: Antibiotic resistance, pandemic