(I) FUNDRAISE for HKI
Live on SGD2.50 (global poverty line) a day for food expenditure for 3 days.
Tell your friends about your concerns for malnutrition in children and help raise funds for the Vitamin A Supplementation (VAS) programme.
[Leave your message below.]
(II) MAKE A PERSONAL DONATION:
Give directly to Helen Keller International's VAS programme.
*Your donations will be processed on The Life You Can Save's donations processing page. Please indicate "EA SG" for note on donor scroll so we can track our community's overall impact. Thank you!
$100 USD = 133 vitamin A supplements delivered to children
Helen Keller International
Vitamin A Supplementation (VAS) Programme
HKI combats the causes and consequences of blindness and malnutrition by establishing programs based on evidence and research in vision, health and nutrition.
HKI's VAS work is highly likely to be constrained by funding next year. HKI has provided details of VAS programs that it could support with additional funding of up to about $37.8 million for its vitamin A supplementation program in 2018-2020. HKI appears to have limited prospects for funding these programs from other sources.
Does it work?
Vitamin A is an essential nutrient that serves many purposes in the body; in particular, the immune and visual systems require it to function properly. Essential nutrients must be obtained through diet since the body cannot produce them on its own. Vitamin A deficiency (VAD) can cause stunting, anemia, xerophthalmia (dry eyes, which can lead to blindness), increased severity of infections, and death.
WHO notes that vitamin A from high-dose supplements can be stored in the liver and used as needed in the body for several months.To prevent childhood morbidity and mortality, WHO recommends vitamin A supplementation (VAS) every four to six months for all children aged 6 to 59 months in areas where VAD is a public health problem.
Where your donation goes to
GiveWell estimates that it costs $0.75 to deliver a vitamin A supplement through HKI-supported mass distribution programs.
Show your support!
About The Donations
- This is a fundraiser initiated by Effective Altruism Singapore (EA SG), mainly to facilitate our community's giving.
- The three selected charities are based on recommendations by two charity evaluators that we think are aligned with EA's focus on effective charities: GiveWell and Animal Charity Evaluators.
- Donations will be processed outside of EA SG's platform. Currently, EA SG promotes effective charities but we do not process donations by ourselves. We have provided secure and trusted links of EA organisations to process the donations.
- We will track our community's overall giving and impact through AMF, TLYCS and ACE (see point #3). Indicate "EA SG" when you make your donation so we'll be able to track how much our community has raised and our overall impact.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- Thank you for supporting these EA-recommended charities. We hope that we can collectively create a much greater impact in this world! :)